Sustainable beauty is all about living your life in a way that ensures positive social, environmental, and economic results. The good news is you can create a sustainable beauty routine that works for you. It's all about identifying sustainable products, then finding ways to incorporate them into your daily life. You want to strike the proper balance between using some beauty product but limiting your environmental impact as well as taking your steps towards being more eco-friendly.
There are many beauty products on the market today, which could be harmful if used improperly or in excess. That's why making an eco-friendly beauty routine a part of your daily routine is essential. Because when you go green with beauty, you don't just save the planet; you also save money.
There is a plethora of beauty knowledge out there that can be difficult to integrate into your daily routine. This guide aims to make it easier for you to find, download and execute the type of skincare routines that work best for you.
Eco beauty routine
Many of us think we can use more products, but we don't want to sacrifice efficacy or spend a lot of time experimenting with various products. That's where the beauty routine checklist comes in. Each step in the beauty routine should include a list of products that can act as stand-ins for the items you're likely to use regularly and could serve as eco-friendly alternatives (when applicable). Beauty routines are an easy way to get started with beauty products and a great way to create a cohesive look over time.
You don't have to be a makeup artist or a hairstylist to know nobody wants to throw away beauty products. It's easy to assume that once you purchase a product, it's gone forever and doesn't deserve a second look. But while that may be true for many household items, beauty products are different. They often have limited shelf lives and are often resold or donated after use. Making a sustainable beauty routine a part of your daily routine can go a long way toward keeping these products around and helping the planet.
How do you make your beauty routine more sustainable?
There are several steps you can take to being more sustainable when it comes to beauty routines, from buying beauty products that are made with sustainable materials to rethinking how you travel and shift your grocery shopping habits.
These are the main steps:
1. Reuse your plastic wraps. Instead of picking up your makeup every day and putting it in a resealable bag, just put it in your mini-fridge or bring it to the nearest recycling centre.
2. Choose oil-free foundations instead of non-oil-based ones. Although they may feel greasy after the first couple of hours, eating non-oil-based foundations will prolong the life of your skin.
3. Less is more! If you do a lash lift, eyebrow drawing or some other treatment, you will not need to buy a lot of make-up products. In addition, you will save water, the lashes done in the salon do not have to be washed every day, and you will still look fantastic.
4. To be sustainable in beauty, you have to think about what's being used and the amount of packaging that goes into your products. When you reuse or recycle packaging, it reduces waste and has the potential to save you money on materials. The simplest and most affordable way to start is with just a recyclable bag. Jars and containers made from glass, plastics and polypropylene are easy to break down into small pieces, so you can reuse them over and over again.
5. Using multi-tasking beauty products is an easy way to get more done. Imagine combining all of your favourite products into one elegant look.
6. The beauty industry is exhausting. It's created an absurd amount of products with various chemicals that don't always work, and it's hard to figure out which ones are worth buying. Scouring websites for reviews or expert opinions is often fruitless. One way to simplify your routine is to create simple beauty routines that combine two or three products. The result is easier bathing, less time in the kitchen when cooking and making food, and more time doing things you enjoy.
7. The best way to make your beauty routine sustainable is to make your purchases in bulk at retail stores that carry reusable beauty products.
Be responsible for nature
If you are looking for opportunities to reduce your environmental footprint and shop at sustainable small businesses, consider bringing reusable shopping bags. Shopping with reusable bags saves energy and helps the environment by reducing the waste caused when consumers keep using paper and plastic bags.
Make your beauty routine more sustainable by using natural or organic ingredients. Make sure to read labels and know what's in your product. Turn to an eco-friendly skincare routine at the drugstore. It's cheaper, and you'll be making an effort to care for the planet as well as your beauty. To find cruelty-free beauty products, look for products that do not contain ingredients tested on animals.
Written by Alison Pearson
About the Author
Alison Pearson is an interior design student. She is a writer and designer, but her ultimate passion is fashion and beauty. She is also a bibliophile and her favourite book is "The Sound and the Fury" by William Faulkner. Follow her on Twitter.
You may also like