We're living in a society that takes things for granted. The number of likes or followers that you get on social networks is what matters, while we're all picking up two or three plastic bags on our way out of the grocery store. It doesn't matter if you think about it or not, the fact is that the humanity is constantly destroying our planet, and it's been so for a while. Whether you're eating too much meat, or you're spending too much energy, the point is that we're all contributing to the world's end. I'm not exaggerating when I say that anyone can see that nature itself has started its coupe against humanity.
If we don't start making some lifestyle changes right now, we're risking to be annihilated from the face of the earth - from the very source we've been using so far.
Adopting the 'green way' may take a while, but it will go a long way to ensure our very existence on this planet - believe it or not.
Switch Your Bulbs to LEDs
You wouldn't believe how much energy is spent on lighting alone, especially around holidays. Switching to eco-friendly bulbs won’t only mean you're thinking about our planet's future, but you'll also be saving quite a lot of money when it comes to paying electric bills. There's not a single reason anymore to stick around with the old bulbs when LED can get you all you need at 10% of the expense. The problem is that incandescent bulbs are wasting about 90% of energy on heating, while only 10% is used on lighting. LED bulbs, on the other side, are up to 90% efficient when it comes to energy consumption. Did we mention that they tend to last up to 50 times longer than the old ones?
Boycott the Plastic Bags
Plastic is what's ruining our oceans at the moment. The fact is that our ocean fauna is drowning in plastic because we're too ignorant to recognize that we can actually do without it. If every person that goes to a supermarket brought a non-plastic bag with them to take things home we'd be doing a great favor to our oceans. Even the most resistant creatures are starting to suffer from the excess of plastic in our seas. This is easily avoidable if we only spread the awareness of plastic dangers for our oceans, which is why many people are already limiting their plastic bag usage.
Lower Your Meat Intake
The majority of people really love eating meat. In average, a person eats about 60kg of meat every year. This number is even doubled when it comes to America, which is huge. The current trend of eating organic meat isn't helping at all, as CO2 emissions go through the roof whether you like it or not. We understand that not everyone's made to be a vegan, but reducing your meat intake won't only affect your health, but also help prevent the climate change - which is something we should all be trying to do.
Natural Light Can Help a Lot
There's nothing better than having lots of natural light inside your home. This can be difficult, though, as most of the windows are made to protect you from external climate. Having huge windows can be of huge help when it comes to saving energy on lighting, and if you're ever feeling like it's too much you can go for any lighting limitations like Shutters HQ has to offer. There's also the fact that there are many benefits to natural light inside your home, so there's really no reason to keep living with the artificial light.
Start Cycling to Work
Unless your office is really far off, there's really no reason to be driving there. Cycling won't only lower your personal CO2 emissions, but you'll also be in better shape thanks to it. Of course, some morning are harder than others, but if you only commit to cycling twice a week instead of driving you'll be doing a huge favor to our planet. This is a great way to lose some weight too, so don't think twice before doing it.
Adopting the 'green-way' means making some sacrifices when it comes to your current lifestyle, but it's nothing to really dwell on when you consider the positive impact you'll have on our planet. If every person out there was aware of the dangers of climate change, I'm sure they'd change their lifestyle to match the situation. We're cutting down so many trees without planting enough in return, which alone should tell you that we have a limited time on our planet Earth. However, it's never too late to change, so every single person that adopts the eco-friendly way is contributing to the future of all of us.
Guest post by Chloe Smith
About the Author
Chloe Smith is a cycling enthusiast, business consultant, and a part-time writer always willing to share tidbits of advice. She believes that passion, courage and, above all, knowledge breed success.
You may also like