Decor is what gives your house a homey feeling. How you decorate your space can invoke feelings of comfort and positivity, and since we spend so much time at home, it’s important to make it your sanctuary. However, how you decorate can have a big impact on the environment. In fact, a lot of furniture and interior decor is made of materials that contribute to excess waste. Every year, 9 million tons of furniture are added to landfills.
To help, we outlined 8 tips on sustainable decor to upgrade your home and protect the environment all at once.
- Upcycle your furniture by updating used pieces and revamping them.
- Buy from local businesses that sell handmade items.
- Use to 10-10-10 rule when buying: will I use this in 10 weeks? 10 months? 10 years?
- Try a no-buy challenge for a month or even six months, and opt for trading instead.
- Avoid plastic decor - it takes thousands of years to break down and decompose.
- Go to a swap meet and exchange your items for something you want instead.
- Look for certified green labels like Energy Star or Recycled Content Certification.
- Head to your local thrift or antique store for some pre-loved items.
Looking for more sustainable decorating ideas? Check out this infographic from Hippo home insurance.
You may also like