"Do I really have to remove my makeup before going to bed?" is a question you've always known the answer to, but sometimes choose to ignore in certain circumstances. While leaving traces of mascara or eyeliner isn't a punishable crime, it can damage your skin.
Why is it important to take off your makeup?
The skin regenerates itself while you sleep. When you skip taking off your makeup, you're preventing the regeneration process from happening since the skin won't be able to breathe due to the amount of dirt and product sitting on top of it. Letting your makeup stay on can also clog your pores. This means it can trigger blackhead breakouts and cause zits to form.
No matter how long your day has been, it's still important to take off your makeup and all the impurities sitting on your face. A quick way to take off all your makeup residue, oil build-up, and gunk is by using micellar water or makeup remover wipes.
While both options are innovative makeup removers that don't require you to wash your face, you may want to choose the right option that will work best for your skin type. Continue reading to find out the difference between the two and help you choose the best makeup remover.
What is Micellar Water?
Micellar water was introduced to the beauty world a few years ago. It's a rinse-free cleanser composed of a combination of purified water and hydrating ingredients like glycerin. This mighty product uses breakthrough micelle technology. When you wet a cotton ball or cotton pad with micellar water, the micelles adhere to the cotton as it draws in grimes like sweat, dirt, oil, and makeup off of the skin.
Since micellar water has a light and gentle formula, you don't need to rinse them off. You can wipe and head to bed, leaving the moisturizing ingredient for absorption.
- It melts away and eliminates traces of even the toughest waterproof makeup.
- It cleanses the skin without irritating or clogging it.
- It's gentle enough for all skin types.
- It's especially great for acne-prone skin since the hydration effect helps reduce the oil gland activity.
- One bottle can last for months, and it has a long shelf life (about two years).
- It's not exactly environmentally-friendly (plastic bottle and cotton balls or pads), but you can opt to use reusable cotton pads to minimize waste.
- You may need to wash off your face if you don't feel comfortable with the feeling of the residue of the product sitting on your skin.
What is Makeup Remover Wipes?
Makeup remover wipes, also known as facial cleansing wipes, allow you to remove makeup and other gunk without the need to lather and rinse afterward. Generally, its ingredients are the same as your regular cleansers: both contain surfactants that help dissolve makeup and solubilizers and emulsifiers to pull out other impurities.
- It's a quick and easy way of removing makeup without washing.
- One piece of wipe contains just the right amount of product, meaning you don't have to worry about using one pump too much.
- Inexpensive — you can find a lot of cheap makeup remover wipes in the market.
- It's convenient and comes in handy when traveling.
- Rubbing of the wipes on the skin may be harsh for dry, sensitive skin.
- Depending on its formula, makeup remover wipes may not completely remove all traces of makeup.
- They have a short shelf life (about three months).
- It can be a bit expensive if used every day.
- It's not environmentally-friendly.
Both makeup remover products can work on all skin types. However, there are some things to consider, such as the formula, scent, and method of use.
For instance, makeup remover wipes with fragrance can irritate sensitive skin types. Meanwhile, micellar water is generally gentle on all skin types. You just need to examine the ingredients and find the formula that suits you. This goes the same with makeup remover wipes.
Whenever you feel like skipping the makeup removal process or when you're too lazy to be bothered by it, think of it as a quick and easy way to rest, recreate, and recharge. You'll feel fresh after wiping your face clean with either a micellar water or makeup remover wipes. Plus, you go to sleep knowing that your skin is free from pore-clogging grimes!
You may also like